When you think about sports in Arizona, the first thing that comes to mind is often golf. But the Arizona Diamondbacks are having a record-breaking season, and it’s not over yet! Baseball fans have a great excuse to visit the desert right now. For visitors and locals alike, it’s an exciting time to be in Phoenix.
Arizona Diamondbacks 2017 Highlights
It’s been an amazing season to watch so far, with even more great baseball to come. Here are some of the highlights from the Diamondbacks’ stellar season.
• Winning Streak: The team has had a 13-game winning streak, which is also a new record for the franchise. Lucky number 13 win was a 3-1 defeat of the National League (NL) West-leading Dodgers – while visiting Dodger Stadium. Even if the Diamondbacks don’t make a run for the World Series, this year’s team will still own a club record.
• Pitching: The D-backs are heading into the end of the season hot. It’s the first season on record where two teams have had 13-game active winning streaks (the other team being the Cleveland Indians). What factors contributed to the D-backs’ streak? Solid pitching for one, which was proven by a 1.91 ERA over those 13 games. Star players are also key to the club’s success. J.D. Martinez came through with 18 home runs in 42 games after being acquired from the Tigers in July.
• Incredible Innings: The Diamondbacks also reached a not-trailing streak this season that lasted 97 innings. This places the club right behind the 1942 Yankees, who hold the record with 100 innings. The D-backs’ record is tied with the 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers for the second-longest run of this kind.
• Top Talent: The team’s future is bright. Jon Duplantier, the D-backs’ number two prospect, earned the MLB Pipeline’s Pitcher of the Year award this season. Duplantier posted the Minor League’s second-best ERA in a quarter of a century during his first professional season. Keep an eye on the young pitcher, as he could end up in the Major Leagues in 2018.
Arizona Diamondbacks History
Part of MLB’s NL West division, the Arizona Diamondbacks franchise is based out of Phoenix and plays its home games at Chase Field.
Phoenix is currently the fifth largest city in the nation. It experienced impressive growth between 1940 and 1990, when it jumped from 99th largest up to ninth. Its growing population meant there were baseball fans from all over now living in the desert. The Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers, in particular, had significant followings here. Not to mention, the state had been known for spring training since the 1940s. The baseball roots in Arizona ran deep and it was only time before it got its own MLB team.
That time came in 1998. Tickets for the Arizona Diamondbacks’ inaugural game went on sale in January and sold out by lunchtime. The team hit the field for the first time on March 31, 1998.
Three years later, they won the World Series. In 2001, the Diamondbacks became the fastest expansion team in the Major Leagues to take the title. And they did it in an exciting series against the New York Yankees, who had won the title for three consecutive years prior. After leading the Yankees 2-0, the D-backs faced three straight losses in New York. They ultimately defeated the Yankees in game seven on a walk-off single by Luis Gonzalez.
With the D-backs’ highlight reel of a season, they are on the radar for a solid postseason run. Fans of the franchise will keep a close eye on the team as the regular season winds to a close.
Remaining Arizona Diamondbacks 2017 Home Game Schedule
The Diamondbacks have given fans a season to cheer about thus far. And there are still a few home games left before it’s over! Whether you’re a Phoenix local or in town for a visit, catch a game while you still can.
- Monday, September 11 — Diamondbacks vs. Rockies, 6:40 p.m. MST (Healthcare Appreciation)
- Tuesday, September 12 — Diamondbacks vs. Rockies, 6:40 p.m. MST (Suns Night)
- Wednesday, September 13 — Diamondbacks vs. Rockies, 6:40 p.m. MST (Healthcare Appreciation)
- Thursday, September 14 — Diamondbacks vs. Rockies, 12:40 p.m. MST (Throwback Thursday)
- Friday, September 22 — Diamondbacks vs. the Marlins, 6:40 p.m. MST (“Science of Baseball” STEM showcase day)
- Saturday, September 23 — Diamondbacks vs. the Marlins, 5:10 p.m. MST (Childhood Cancer Awareness game supporting Phoenix Children’s Hospital)
- Sunday, September 24 — Diamondbacks vs. the Marlins, 1:10 p.m. MST (Fan Appreciation Day)
- Monday, September 25 — Diamondbacks vs. the Giants, 6:40 p.m. MST
- Tuesday, September 26 — Diamondbacks vs. the Giants, 6:40 p.m. MST
- Wednesday, September 27 — Diamondbacks vs. the Giants, 12:40 p.m. MST (Matinee Prices)
For more information, visit the MLB website.
Arizona Diamondbacks 2017 – Arizona Proud
The Arizona Diamondbacks 2017 season has been one for the history books. After breaking records and rising toward the top of the NL West, the team has made Arizona proud. Baseball fans and anyone who’s been waiting for an excuse to visit the desert have a great reason to come to Phoenix as this storied season comes to a close.